This warm and comforting Whole30 soup recipe is jam-packed with filling ingredients to keep you satisfied for hours! Italian sausage, potatoes, kale and bacon come together in a rich and creamy, dairy-free broth with the perfect combination of herbs and spices.
- 4 slices Whole30 compliant bacon
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (see recipe below)
- 5 Whole30 compliant sausage links
- 5 cups mini potatoes, cut in half
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 bunch of kale (chopped and stems removed)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- salt + pepper to taste
Homemade Italian Sausage
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- To make the Italian sausage, brown the ground pork in a medium pan over medium heat. Drain, return to pan, add spices and mix well. Set aside.
- In a dutch oven or large pot, add diced onions and saute in 1 tbsp of remaining pork grease for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and combine until fragrent.
- Add broth, potatoes and Italian sausage and bring to a boil until potates are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon and chop into pieces. Cook sausage links according to package instrrcutions and thinly slice.
- When potatoes are cooked through, remove 1 cup of soup broth and add it to a small bowl with the arrowroot starch. Mix broth and arrowroot starch until smooth and add back to soup. (If you skip this step and add the arrowroot starch directly to the soup, it will clump and will not thicken your soup.)
- Add the sausage links, coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add bacon and kale just before serving.